Website SK pharmteco
Vice President, Law & General Counsel
Exec/Sr Lev Off/Mgrs
Rancho Cordova, CA, US
SK pharmteco (SKPT, the Corporation) is a U.S.-based Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) that consolidates the operations of AMPAC Fine Chemicals, SK biotek Korea and Ireland, Center for Breakthrough Medicines, and Yposkesi. Built on over 75 years of experience, SK pharmteco is a trusted partner specializing in the manufacture of small molecule APIs and intermediates, viral vectors for gene therapies, cell therapies, registered starting materials and analytical services for the pharmaceutical industry worldwide.
We are looking for a Vice President, Law & General Counsel. This role will be responsible for overseeing all legal matters and providing strategic guidance in legal, regulatory compliance and corporate governance issues. The VP, Law & General Counsel will play a critical role in driving business success by safeguarding SK pharmteco’s interests, managing risk, and ensuring adherence to relevant laws and regulations. This role reports directly to the CEO. SK pharmteco has office locations in CA and PA. Preferred reporting location for this role is King of Prussia, PA.
- Develop and implement legal strategies that align with SKPT’s overall business objectives, to enable the creation of value while acting in accordance with all applicable laws.
- Advise the executive team and board of directors (BOD) on legal matters, potential risks, and opportunities.
- Lead and mentor a team of international legal professionals, fostering a culture of excellence and continuous improvement.
- Ensure effective execution of SKPT’s contract negotiation and review methodologies for agreements with third parties, conforming with any in-place contract review policies, and provide expert guidance to business development personnel and other internal stakeholders.
- Routinely monitor and improve the business processes under which the contracts and agreements are implemented.
- Ensure compliance with contractual obligations and manage any disputes that may arise.
- Apprise the executive team and BOD of evolving laws, regulations, and industry standards relevant to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology sectors.
- Establish and maintain effective programs to ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements; provide guidance on governance best practices to mitigate legal and regulatory risks.
- Protect and manage SKPT’s intellectual property portfolio, including patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
- Monitor and address potential infringements to safeguard SKPT’s competitive advantage.
- Ensure that SKPT does not infringe the intellectual properties of third parties.
- Optimize legal efficiency by effectively managing integration of internal legal resources with outside counsel as needed for areas requiring domain-specific expertise.
- Oversee litigation matters, working closely with external counsel as necessary.
- Access litigation risks and explore alternative dispute resolution methods when appropriate.
- Oversee legal support of any IPO activities of the Corporation.
- Identify legal and regulatory risks across the organization and develop proactive strategies to minimize exposure.
- Collaborate with various departments and business units to implement risk management protocols and ensure compliance with relevant policies.
- Ad hoc projects as needed and assigned by CEO.
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
Experience & Skills
- Position requires a problem-solving mindset, a high degree of collaboration with internal clients and colleagues, and the ability to exercise mature and reliable judgment.
- Member in good standing of the State Bar in incumbent’s state of residence.
- Minimum of 10 + years of experience in legal practice, with at least 5 years in a leadership capacity. Experience within the life science or chemical industry is preferred.
- Deep understanding of and significant involvement with contract law, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property matters specific to the life sciences sector.
- Proven track record in successfully managing complex legal issues and high stakes negotiations.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to motivate and guide a global team of legal professionals.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills, capable of effectively collaborating with and training diverse stakeholders at all levels.
- Strategic thinker with a business-oriented approach to legal problem-solving.
- Experience with implementation of Initial Public Offerings (IPOs).
- Experience with Public Company operations and compliance with SEC regulations.
- Willingness to travel.